Sunday, April 19, 2009

What to Include?

My homepage  will include a brief description of who I am as well as the goal of my site.  I plan on having a few photos, but envision remaining as uncluttered as possible.  I want any visitors to be able to find the links to my sub-pages as quickly as possible.

I have been giving a lot of thought to what I would like the topics of my sub-pages to be.  Based on the advice of my classmates I believe I have come up with some likely ideas.

1. Recipes: Cookies, cakes, bars and pies!  I will include six or more recipes selected by Trinity and Atticus.  These are easy to make ideas that will deliver the desired sugar rush with the dessert is completed.

2. Tips page: You want to bake with kids, but are afraid your kitchen will wind up looking like a war zone or you child's exuberance will frustrate you to no end.  I will include tips that have worked for me and helped to avoid the drama.  For example
  •  Set out everything you will need before you start
  •  Explain kitchen rules
  •  Before each step explain what you will be doing and why
  •  Assign each child small tasks they can take turns doing
  •  Clean as you go!
  •  Taste along the way
3. Substitutions: Ok you are baking and suddenly realize you are almost out of flour.  Do you want to drop everything you are doing and run to the store?  Yeah, I didn't think so.  I will include a page that will list items you can use as substitutions for certain ingredients.  For example using apple sauce or yogurt instead of oil or using granulated sugar and molasses in place of Dark Brown Sugar.  I frequent the Land O'Lakes site for this type of information.

4. Conversion Table and Definitions:  Somehow all your measuring cups of disappeared.  You last saw them in the kids sandbox, but they are now denying all knowledge.  Or say you are staring frustrated at a recipe and wondering what in God's name they mean by a "dash of salt."  Seriously how much is a dash anyway?  I would like to include a conversion table of measurements similar to the one found on  e-CookBooks.

3 comments:

  1. As for conversions and substitutions, I highly recommend the extensive tables in the most recent edition of "The Joy of Cooking." They've saved me more than once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The topics for your sub-pages sound great. I like the kitchen rules that you layout as well as including a conversion table and definitions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea and would be helpful for anyone, regardless of whether kids are involved. I read in the Inquirer a few months ago that cooking classes are becoming popular, so I'm sure a how-to website on baking is something that would be just as popular.

    ReplyDelete