Saturday, April 11, 2009

Cake Making Mischief

For my project I will be enlisting the culinary skills of Trinity (6) and Atticus (4).  I have baked with them several times, so they know all of my ground rules in the kitchen.  

Because they are not my children, I felt it was appropriate to ask their parents if they had any special concerns or qualms about using their images on my website.  Their mother asked that I not show Trinity and Atticus' face in any pictures and videos I used.  This poses an interesting problem.  

Ideally I would have liked to have shown their faces to demonstrate that they are in fact having a good time, and not being tortured for my own nefarious purposes.   Really the only solution is to take pictures from the neck down and include videos of giggling.  I experimented this weekend, making a chocolate fudge cake with ganache. 

These are some of the pictures and videos I took while baking the cake.  I think they will work for my purposes, but I would be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts or ideas.

 


The almost finished Product...

4 comments:

  1. Well, we'll just have to take your word for it that they are having a good time but from the looks of the star cake I think it'll work out. Will you be posting comments on the ingredients/finished products? Tips for those of lacking tiny assistants?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this looks very promising. My kids are deprived because I almost never bake anymore and if I do, I'm in a hurry and won't let them "help." But of course I learned to bake as a child myself, probably with my mum when I was very little, but with lots of experimenting as I grew (e.g., using corn oil instead of melted butter in Cape Cod oatmeal cookies is easier but results in lesser cookies). --ELC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the kids' parents will at least let you post some comments made by the kids so that readers can get a "kid's perspective' on the baking fun?

    Looks delicious so far!

    Doreva

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a lot that can be done with hands. Thumbs up, movement, and other nonverbal cues can indicate "a good time" as well as smiles!

    ReplyDelete